When considering getting cosmetic surgery, choosing the right plastic surgeon is extremely important. The last thing the patient should do is choose a plastic surgeon that is under qualified or that has a reputation for poor quality work just because they are cheaper. The following are a few important tips to keep in mind when choosing a plastic surgeon:
- Look for board certification – This is an area that patients should be careful in because the government does not actually require plastic surgeons to be specifically trained in the procedures that they offer. However, certification from the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery is available to plastic surgeons and is certainly a sign that they are reputable.
- Look for experience – Although everybody starts somewhere, patients should look for plastic surgeons with a lot of experience, specifically, experience with the type of plastic surgery that the patient is looking for. The patient should ask whether the surgeon was trained to perform that specific surgery, how long they have been performing the procedure and how often they have performed the procedure.
- Compare results – The plastic surgeons that patients are looking at should be able to provide photographs of their surgeries so that the patients can compare the results. Most reputable plastic surgeons will have a photo gallery of some kind on their website for patients to look through.
- Ask about safety – Patients should find out about the anesthetists’s qualifications, including whether they are a CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist) or a Board Certified Anesthesiologist. Patients should also make sure that the facility where the plastic surgery is performed has accreditation from the JCAHO, AAAHC or the AAAASF.
- Look for an emotional connection – Plastic surgery is no small decision. The patient should make sure that they are a hundred percent comfortable with the plastic surgeon that they choose and that they trust them completely. This means that the emotional connection that they make with the surgeon is very important.
Anyone that chooses to undergo a cosmetic surgery should make sure that they follow these tips in order to find the right plastic surgeon. Be sure to contact the Plastic Surgery Specialists of South Florida today for information about their certification, experience, safety process and past results.