Cosmetic surgeries, including plastic surgeries, tend to be identified as being something that women do. While the majority of cosmetic surgeries are performed on women, there are plenty of men who choose to have cosmetic surgery as well. In fact, according to the American Society forAesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), over one million cosmetic procedures were performed on men in 2014, accounting for 9.4 percent of the total amount of cosmetic procedures done that year. The following were some of the top cosmetic procedures for men in 2014 according to ASAPS:
- Eyelid surgery – Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a procedure in which excess skin on the eyelids is surgically removed. Men whose eyelids cause a puffy appearance around their eyes or whose vision is affected by the excess skin often choose to undergo this procedure.
- Nose surgery – Nose surgery, or rhinoplasty, is a procedure that involves reshaping the nasal bones and cartilages in order to reduce or increase the size of the nose, remove visible humps or depressions on the bridge of the nose, change the shape of the tip of the nose and more. Nose surgery is often performed on men who aren’t happy with their nose’s appearance or on men whose noses were damaged in an accident.
- Male breast reduction – Some men are affected by a condition known as gynecomastia, which causes enlarged male breasts. Men that have gynecomastia often choose to undergo male breast reduction surgery as a way to remove excess fatty tissue around their pectoral muscles. In some cases, excess skin is also removed. Choosing male breast reduction surgery can help men that are self-conscious about their gynecomastia to improve their self-esteem.
- Ear surgery – Ear surgery, or osoplasty, is a procedure in which the shape, position or the proportion of the ear is changed. Men often choose ear surgery to correct perceived aesthetic flaws as well as to help repair damage caused by an injury.
- Liposuction – Liposuction is a surgical procedure that helps men to lose weight. It involves removing different areas of fat around the body via the use of a hollow metal suction tube. In some cases, the surgeon will use ultrasound in order to break down fat cells to make them easier to remove.
These were some of the top cosmetic surgeries for men in 2014 according to ASAPS. Find out more about cosmetic surgery by contacting us at Plastic Surgery Specialists.