Cosmetic surgery, which often includes plastic surgery, has become increasingly more popular since the recession, with more people (both men and women) choosing to undergo more cosmetic surgery since 2008. In fact, according to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), women had over 10.3 million cosmetic procedures in 2014, which accounted for 90.3 percent of the total cosmetic surgeries done that year. The following are some of the top cosmetic procedures for women:
- Breast augmentation – Breast augmentation is a procedure in which the appearances of the breasts are enlarged with the use of implants. The surgeon will create a pocket under the pectoral muscle where the implant will be inserted. There are two types of implants that women can choose from, silicone-filled implants or saline implants.
- Liposuction – Also known as lipoplasty, liposuction is a procedure in which different fat deposits are removed from the body using a hollow metal suction tube, thereby helping the patient to surgically lose weight.
- Tummy tuck – Known as abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck involves the removal of excess of sagging abdominal skin. Basically, the surgeon will create a horizontal incision right above the belly button or the pubic area. They will then use sutures to bring together loose underlying skin and muscle together.
- Breast lift – A breast lift involves a procedure in which a surgeon removes excess skin around the breast and aereola and then shifts the nipple and areola into a higher position. Skin that was located above the areola is then brought down to help reshape the breast. There are four different types of breast lifts to choose from, all of which require varying levels of invasiveness. A surgeon will help patients decide which type of breast lift is best for them depending on a number of different factors, including the amount of lift desired and the amount of tissue present.
- Eyelid surgery – Known as a blepharoplasty, eyelid surgery is often done on patients that have excess skin on their eyelids. Not only does this cause a puffy appearance in the eyes, but it can sometimes impact the vision of the patient. The surgery involves the removal of excess skin and fatty tissue in either the upper or lower eyelids.
These were the top cosmetic surgeries performed on women in 2014 according to the ASAPS. Plastic Surgery Specialists have some of the best surgeons in South Florida performing these and other procedures. For more information about cosmetic surgery or plastic surgery, contact us at Plastic Surgery Specialists.