The Specifics of the Tummy Tuck
If you were to ask the typical individual what they desired the most in life, there is a good chance a flat, toned and tightened abdomen would be on the list. Having an ideal abdomen takes a lot of work. There are many factors that are out of your control such as the aging process, your hereditary, becoming pregnant, gaining or losing a substantial amount of weight and needing abdominal surgery. The best way to begin achieving the abdomen you want is by consuming a diet low in calories, rich in minerals and vitamins and by engaging in a regular exercise routine. Unfortunately, this will not always be enough to produce the results you truly want. When this happens, your best option is called an abdominoplasty or a tummy tuck. If you need to loose a lot of weight, this is not the right procedure for you at this time.
An abdominoplasty is not a replacement for eating healthy or exercising. Your weight needs to be stable and your health good before you are even eligible for this procedure. If you are unhappy with the appearance of your abdomen and are interested in firmer and tighter skin, then this may be your ideal solution. During this procedure, the surgeon will remove the extra skin and fat from your abdomen and tighten the muscles located in the abdominal wall. It is important to repeat this procedure is not for weight loss. You should be certain this is what you want before deciding to have an abdominoplasty. You should also have already tried to firm your abdomen through exercise and diet. Once you make the decision to have this procedure, the first thing you need to do is set up a consultation with the surgeon.
Both men and women with a stable weight and in good overall health are most likely good candidates for an abdominoplasty. If you are currently a smoker, you need to consider quitting or at the very least stopping for six weeks prior to and after your surgery. This will help ensure your healing process progresses the way it should. A lot of people are not certain of the difference between liposuction and an abdominoplasty. Even though the surgeon may use liposuction during your surgery, this technique will only remove the deposits of fat. If you have had several children, your skin and muscles may have become stretched. This cannot be addressed with diet, exercise or liposuction. You will need to have a tummy tuck. The excess skin can be removed and your muscles effectively tightened during your procedure.
This is also an excellent option if you have ever been obese or excessively overweight and lost the weight. You may still have loose skin or deposits of fat remaining on your abdomen. If you are a woman and still want to have more children, you should wait to have this procedure until your family is complete. This is because your vertical muscles can become separated during pregnancy. If these muscles are tightened during surgery and separated again due to pregnancy, there is a potential for a hernia. If you are currently losing weight or plan to, you should wait until you have reached a stabilized weight. Although many individuals are concerned about a scar, it is important to know the surgeon will take precautions. This includes ensuring your scar is below your bikini line. This means is will be easy to hide the scar.
You can ask the surgeon about any scarring during your consultation. This will ensure the surgeon takes your concerns into consideration and performs the procedure best suiting your needs. The step you should never take is dieting before your procedure. Eating complete, healthy and balanced meals is very important. When you consume more nutritious meals, you will help ensure an optimal healing process. You will need to inform the surgeon about all medications and supplements you are using before your abdominoplasty. There are specific medications you will need to discontinue for a period of time both prior to and after your procedure. This decision will be made by the surgeon. It is imperative to tell the surgeon if you have been prescribed any type blood thinning medication.
The Procedure for a Tummy Tuck
The amount of time your surgery will take depends on exactly what actions the surgeon needs to perform. This can be a little as one hour or as long as five hours. Your surgery may be performed as either an outpatient or an in-patient procedure. General anesthesia will be administered to make certain you sleep throughout your procedure and do not feel any pain. You will need to make arrangements ahead of time to have a friend take you home after your abdominoplasty. If you live by yourself, asking your friend to spend the first night after your surgery is recommended. There are different types of abdominoplasty procedures. The complete abdominoplasty is performed if you require the maximum amount of correction. The surgeon will begin by making an incision just below your bikini line.
You incision will begin at one hip bone and proceed to the next. The surgeon is then able to shape and manipulate your muscle and skin as necessary. The second incision will be made around your belly button. This incision is required because your belly button must be freed from the surrounding tissue. If the surgeon places drainage tubes, they will be removed within a few days. The mini or partial abdominoplasty may be an option if your deposits of fat are under your belly button. This procedure does not require as long of an incision. An incision around your belly button will most likely not be necessary. The separation of your skin is made between your belly button and the incision line. The surgeon may choose to use an endoscope to assist with your procedure. This is simply a tube with a camera attached to the end.
This procedure takes as long as two hours. This also depends on what is being accomplished. You may require drainage tubes for a few days for this procedure as well. If the area around you back needs to be included, you will have a circumferential abdominoplasty. This procedure is necessary to remove fat from your back in addition to your abdomen. The surgeon may need to perform liposuction during your tummy tuck. This will enable the surgeon to remove excess fat and skin from your abdomen, back and hip for a noticeable improvement around the circumference of your body. After your procedure, the surgeon will suture and bandage the area around your incisions. You need to follow all directions given by the surgeon including wearing a compression garment and taking proper care of your bandages.
If you generally participate in a lot of physical activities, you will need to restrict any strenuous exercises for between four and six weeks. You will be told when it is safe to resume your regular activities by the surgeon as your body begins to heal. The surgeon will also recommend taking a specific period of time off work after surgery to help you recover properly. This will be based on the type of abdominoplasty and exactly what was done. The changes made by the surgeon are supposed to last. Part of this is dependent on you. If you experience any substantial changes in your weight, your muscles can weaken and your skin can stretch out once again. If you intend to have another child or loose weight, you should wait to have an abdominoplasty.
After your tummy tuck, the maintenance of a healthy lifestyle is exceptionally important for maintaining your results. You should participate in a regular exercise program and follow a healthy diet. You should also avoid any unhealthy beverages and foods such as alcohol, sweets and foods high in fat.
The Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
You will experience numerous benefits after your surgery. This is the key reason this procedure continues to increase in popularity. The benefits include:
• Losing a significant amount of weight can cause your skin to sag. A lot of individuals are unable to exercise properly once they become obese. This is often one of the reasons the person decides to lose the excess weight. Unfortunately, this can lead to wrinkles and folds of excess skin and a relaxation of the abdominal muscles. Both of these issues can be corrected by tightening the muscles and skin of the abdomen with this procedure.
• The accumulation of fat and skin in the abdominal area can result in lordosis. This condition is commonly referred to as a sway back. This triggers both a change in posture and back pain. The surgical removal of extra fat and skin in addition to tightening the abdominal muscles provides more strength for the spine. This enables the individual to resume their normal posture to help eliminate the pain.
• The skin of the abdomen can become stretched due to pregnancy. This often results in stretch marks. A tummy tuck can sometimes eliminate this issue. This is especially true if the stretch marks are located between the pubic region and the belly button because this skin is generally removed during the procedure.
• One of the most common bladder issues after a vaginal birth is called stress urinary incontinence. This results in a loss of bladder control causing leakage when the woman exercises, coughs, sneezes or laughs. This usually has a negative impact on the woman’s self-esteem. During an abdominoplasty, the bladder is obstructed using soft tissue. This will effectively correct this issue.
• The occurrence of sagging skin due to the process of aging is completely normal. Loose skin can be effectively tightened during a tummy tuck to provide a more youthful look.
• A ventral hernia occurs when a pocket forms in the abdominal wall due to the intestinal tissue or weakened abdominal muscles. The most common causes include a dramatic loss of weight, an appendectomy and a Cesarean section. The procedure performed for the correction of this issue is very similar to an abdominoplasty. This means the hernia can be corrected at the same time to decrease medical expenses.
• One of the best benefits is the ability to look good in all different types of clothing. A flat abdomen ensures the clothing will fit better and be much more attractive.
• Individuals who have already had a surgical procedure for weight loss are usually good candidates for this procedure. Once a flat abdomen has been achieved, the chances of keeping off the excess weight increase. This is an incredibly important step to help ensure a more active and healthier lifestyle for the future.
• When the abdomen begins to bulge, it often makes the individual appear older than their true age. Regaining a flat abdomen offers positive mental and cosmetic benefits.
• Extra skin and fat on the abdomen can result in a weakening of the abdominal muscles. This often makes it difficult to enjoy physical activities and exercises. These issues are effectively addressed with an abdominoplasty because the muscles are strengthened and the excess skin and fat are removed. This makes it a lot easier to enjoy exercises such as running, jogging and walking. This will help prevent the individual from gaining back the weight while boosting their overall health.
• An active and healthy lifestyle is much easier to attain without excess, heavy skin on the abdomen placing additional strain on the body. Too much heaviness results in back pain for numerous individuals. This procedure can decrease back pain by removing the heavy skin.
• Many individuals who do not like what they see when they look into a mirror have a poor self-image. This can negatively impact every area of their life leading to a decline in confidence and self-esteem. This procedure can improve the way the individual perceives their image, worth and attractiveness leading to a much happier life.
Please call or visit our office to schedule a personal consultation for your tummy tuck.